Monday, January 30, 2017

Will LL Force or Nudge SL Residents into Sansar at Some Point? My Thoughts About This Topic Posed on New World Notes

New World Notes, a longstanding leading blog about SL, virtual worlds and VR has been posing discussion topics about Sansar and there has been much feedback over there about the if or when LL will "nudge" or "force" Second Life residents over to Sansar. Please visit that site to see more Friday's post here  http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2017/01/second-life-linden-lab-sansar-vr.html#more

  The topics of discussion and feedback has been thought provoking.  Everyone most likely reacts to different things in the posts as well as the comments.  Some of the comments from the initial post led me to ponder and write my reactions which I will share here.  Today I saw their follow up discussion that considers some of the things I was also wondering about.  This post is just one of my personal ramblings so of course feel free to skip it over if you like but I'm guessing these issues have been on all our minds.  I'll compare my thoughts I'm having now to reality in a few years and probably laugh at my ignorance and naivety on this topic.  But hey, it's my blog for me saving my thoughts. I hope this is not perceived as a rant.  It's not.  I'm a huge fan of LL.
_______________________________________________________________________

SL is special to me because it is by the people for the people and almost anyone can do just about anything they want with a small amount of effort.  I hope Sansar maintains that at least, and also keeps the expense down.  If so, they probably won’t have to FORCE anyone to visit Sansar.

People can’t be forced to join any virtual platform they don’t like.   LL would do well to consider SL resident’s concerns though as obviously many SL residents will be a large percentage of the initial group to try Sansar out first.   I’m very eager to try in spite of absolutely loving my SL.  I’m curious about it and truly hope it’s amazing and meets my desires.  But I can’t speculate until it’s ready and I get in and try it out. I certainly have very high hopes and recognize LL wants to create an updated environment. I’m all for that.  There are many virtual platforms now so I’m not sure what Sansar will have to offer that will make people want to choose it over others.  Certainly SL has its own solid following, many of which will try or go full or part time to Sansar.   SL is a very special place that has a solid following based on its current activity design though.

Regarding some of the other comments at the above referenced site, I don’t know what will be lost or gained in Sansar until it’s up and running and we are in.  I do recognize there are producers who want to be the first to make their millions (per comments there) attaining fame or fortune but on the flip side they will also need consumers and the relatively talented few who are able to make a living working in a virtual world should appreciate the consumers for what they are and not disregard or say skeptics are not needed by Sansar.  Once it’s up and running those same skeptics or persons with concerns might be the best consumers helping to make someone else their desired millions or stay at home careers possible in a virtual world/Sansar.  We just don’t know right now.    Does Sansar want SL residents or non-productive low skilled persons? Well I certainly hope they should value them every bit as much as the producers.  If everyone is out to make their millions who will pay for all that? Are the talented few just going to make a world full of skilled people who all re-invest, thus completely supporting each other’s careers? Somehow I doubt it would work out that way. I've not heard Sansar's  plans about cost controls or how easy it will be to build like it is in SL  My comments are simply a reaction to some opinions in the original articles feedback section from residents.

The cost of everything should be kept low enough that consumers want to join for their own socialization, recreation, and creative expression.  People who can afford, will purchase from those who do produce quality products/entertainment just like in SL, and potentially bring in their friends who will do likewise.  If SL inventory is completely not portable, it would be nice if  SL residents be given incentives over non SL current residents to transition or at least visit regularly.

I’m a blogger and occasional venue owner which is how I contribute free PR and social/art space to those who produce music, art, clothing, various products, etc.  I enjoy it but I do it for FREE and in actuality I often pay big bucks for land, landscaping/products, time spent posting, etc..  I do it for my own fun and to support friends who produce or to show others what I’ve found that is cool which sends business to those producers. (It's notable I, like almost everyone else, LOVE that I am able to edit or create a little for a unique personal touch)  Of course it has less value than someone who spends significant time making  for example a mesh dresser in blender etc. but it still has some value.  This is what makes SL go round.  Some make amazing things while some make or edit their own small things or help others landscape or etc. while others just show up at a music crowd contributing their wit and amazing social skills thus making others happier to be there too which in turn brings in more crowds. The selfless fundraising people in SL are impressive and help the real world which provides SL some quality PR and this is also another good example of the point I’m trying to make.  So many people give of their time and talents for free for the benefit of others in and out of SL.  Many things have value and there is already much debate in SL over the expense vs value of not only clothes but also live music and those who support them in a variety of ways. There has been strong months-long debate and discussion about this over on Facebook specific to the live music community which really has been discussed for years.  SL and possibly Sansar can be enjoyed free or inexpensively but the enjoyment is significantly reduced when one can't afford to enjoy the basics most others purchase such as an individualize look or home etc.

  I hope Sansar appreciates consumers, socialites, and those who like to be creative on a small scale enough to keep expenses down vs everyone having to work hard to design and build mesh from scratch or simply catering to just those who as someone mentioned have more “skills” enough to make a living off others. Some SL residents like myself have also spent a small fortune off products made by others and it would be nice to be able to maintain some of that if not in Sansar at least in the SL we love and I strongly hope they keep SL growing for a very long time for us to play in when desired. I don’t mind having two virtual worlds if I love them both but I’d hate to have to pay huge double expense so someone can make their millions/livelihoods in both worlds while I start to have to pinch my pennies in both places or am forced to chose one over the other. I hope the producers, land owners who rent space, entertainers, money-makers and LL don’t forget who supported them in SL. 

 SL is special because it is by the people for the people and almost anyone can do just about anything they want with a small amount of effort.  I hope Sansar maintains that at least, and also keeps the expense down.  If so they probably won’t have to FORCE anyone to visit Sansar.  People will want to go. 

(Note there is a follow-up survey on the NWN post which I didn't participate in as there is no way I can speculate on their voting options.  Plus their terms force and nudge feel so negative for me to guess around with anyway. Again, time will tell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment